|The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is seeking a mid-level mechanical engineer experienced in building and building system design in our Central Office in Middletown, PA. This Engineer Project Manager 3 position is in our Facilities Design Unit which is responsible for the inspection and mechanical system adequacy of the Commission owned administration buildings, maintenance buildings, tolling related buildings, salt storage buildings, and communication towers throughout the 553 miles of Commission owned highway system. The engineer will manage the design of vertical structure and building system projects across the entire Turnpike system. Primary duties include but are not limited to the following – Project Manager for vertical structure rehabilitation, replacement and new vertical structure projects, and performing building and building system inspections and investigations.
- Posting End Date: July 28, 2021, 2021
- Position Number: 80001246
- Union: Non-Union
- FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
- Department: Engineering – Mechanical
- Salary Grade: E-16
- Salary Range: $73,309.03 – $109,963.54
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Building Location: Central Office Building
- Building Street: 700 S. Eisenhower Boulevard
- Building City: Middletown
- Building State: Pennsylvania (US-PA)
- Building Zip Code: 17057
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, opened on October 1, 1940, is known as “America’s First Superhighway”! Our mission is to operate a safe, reliable, customer-valued toll road system that supports national mobility and commerce. The PTC operates a 553-mile system used by 192 million vehicles a year. Together, we are building the highway of the future.
Job Purpose and Summary
The position is responsible for advanced-level work on complex projects and assignments for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC). Work at this level is distinguished by the ability to independently perform engineering duties for semi-complex to complex engineering projects with accountability for the entire project. Work is performed with independence and reviewed by a manager, or designee, for attainment of program goals, completion of projects and overall performance. This position may function as a lead worker to lower-level engineers and provide project supervision to consultants.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Provides guidance and functions as a lead worker to lower-level engineers and provides project supervision and direction to consultants. May supervise internal professionals including performance management, delegation of work assignments and review of work product.
- Manages the development and administration of traffic, facilities, design and/or construction projects with an increased scope of responsibility.
- Manages the full lifecycle of assigned projects. Develops the scope of work and participates in the consultant selection process. Manages the development of plans, specifications, standards and cost estimates.
- Manages and maintains project scheduling and activity to ensure proper project development and compliance.
- Monitors and reviews the work of contractors. Performs field inspections, reviews and surveys to ensure adherence to standards and specifications. Identifies potential problems and submits and/or reviews reports recommending solutions.
- Reviews plans, specifications, studies, invoices and estimates prepared by consultants.
- Coordinates and communicates with various internal departments and external agencies to attain input and provide status updates for assigned projects.
- Attends meetings to provide subject matter expertise, feedback and recommendations for assigned projects.
- Participates in traffic and safety surveys. Reviews, analyzes and prepares detailed and comprehensive documentation and reports for managerial staff.
- Provides oversight of various PTC engineering programs.
- Performs duties requiring a broad knowledge and application of engineering principles and practices as relate to all phases of assigned projects and job duties.
- Uses situational awareness to anticipate and prevent accidents.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Qualifications | Education and Licenses
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in engineering or other related discipline. Mechanical Engineering is preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license. Must obtain and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license within six (6) months of employment.
- Four (4) years as an Engineer Project Manager 2 with the PTC.
- Ten (10) years of engineering experience in a transportation environment. Equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
- Possession of a valid Engineer in Training (EIT) certificate may be used to substitute two (2) years of experience; OR, Possession of a valid Professional Engineer (PE) license issued by the Pennsylvania State Registration Board for Professional Engineers may be used as a substitute for four (4) years of experience.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Position demands include frequent speaking, writing and reading reports. Position requires frequent work at a computer utilizing business programs and PTC specific operating systems. Position requires frequent travel and/or fieldwork and exposure to roadway traffic. Occasionally works outside of normal business hours for assigned work assignments. Office environment with low levels of noise, adequate lighting and comfortable temperature. Field environment may include exposure to moderately adverse and undesirable conditions. Physical environment is generally safe, but safety equipment or precautions must be followed in field conditions.
The selected candidate will be offered an exceptional benefits package which includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, along with a benefit plan for retirement. In addition, leave programs, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, and alternative work schedules are available to employees.
Interested candidates may apply to the Engineer Project Manager 3 posting by visiting careers.paturnpike.com by July 28, 2021.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Human Resources Department by calling 717-831-7378.
Jenna Imbrognio | firstname.lastname@example.org