This position may report to one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission's offices:
Central Office (Middletown), Eastern Regional Office (King of Prussia) or Western Regional Office (New Stanton).
Bridge Engineering Manager
Interested candidates must apply to the Bridge Engineering Manager posting by visiting careers.paturnpike.com by November 24, 2023.
Posting Start Date: November 9, 2023
Posting End Date: December 1, 2023
Position Number: 80000196
FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
Department: Engineering – Bridge
Salary Grade: E-19
Salary Range: $114,186.07 – $171,289.81
Employment Type: Full Time
Building Location*: Central Office, Eastern Regional Office, Western Regional Office
Building Street: 700 S. Eisenhower Blvd., 251 Flint Hill Road, 2200 North Center Avenue
Building City: Middletown, King of Prussia, New Stanton
Building State: Pennsylvania (US-PA)
Building Zip Code: 17057, 19406, 15672
Work Schedule: Flexible Work Options
This position may report to one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission’s offices: Central Office (Middletown), Eastern Regional Office (King of Prussia) or Western Regional Office (New Stanton).
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, opened on October 1, 1940, is known as “America’s First Superhighway”! Our mission is to operate a safe, reliable, customer-valued toll road system that supports national mobility and commerce. The PTC operates a 552-mile system used by 192 million vehicles a year. Together, we are building the highway of the future.
The Commission values its team members and understands the importance of work/life balance to the health, well-being and productivity of its team. Therefore, this position may be eligible for Flexible Work Options* such as:
- Hybrid Work – combination of remote and in-person reporting
- Alternate Work Schedule – flexibility to adjust work schedule length to complete work week in fewer days
*Some options may require completion of probationary period. The Commission requires all employees to establish PA residency within 6 months of hire and to maintain PA residency, regardless of Flexible Work Options.
Job Purpose and Summary
This position is responsible for managing and overseeing the Bridge Engineering unit for the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC). Work involves the supervision of consultants, project managers and other PTC staff responsible for complex projects within the Engineering Department. Work is performed with considerable independence and reviewed by a professional superior to determine the attainment of program goals and overall job performance.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Directs, plans, and organizes operations and staff functions including supervision, performance management, delegation of work assignments and review of work product.
- Directs the administration of major bridge replacement and structure rehabilitation projects throughout the project lifecycle.
- Directs the development of plans and specifications prepared by consultants and administered by internal staff.
- Ensures proper coordination with other units/departments throughout the project.
- Directs the design, maintenance and inspection of bridges, culverts, tunnels, retaining walls, noise walls and other structures.
- Directs the activities of the Open-End Bridge Repair Program for the minor repair and maintenance of bridges, culverts, tunnels, retaining walls, noise walls and other structures.
- Reviews and approves plans and specifications.
- Ensures consistency among projects.
- Participates in establishing the prioritization of bridge or other structural design projects to be performed for the PTC.
- Directs the preparation and administration of bridge and other structural design contracts and ensures compliance with regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Participates in the consultant selection process through reviewing documents and participating in meetings.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the unit’s budget including the structure and tunnel portion of the PTC’s Capital Plan.
- Evaluates and reports on the progress of the Bridge and Tunnel Program to monitor and facilitate the capital planning process.
- Provides professional guidance and direction to resolve unique and complex technical, engineering, and administrative issues encountered during project development and administration.
- Provides consultation on an as-needed basis for bridge and tunnel projects.
- Maintains professional liaison with staff, consultants, and other government/transportation agencies.
- Conducts and represents the PTC in designated presentations, committees, planning groups, meetings, trainings, and seminars.
- Participates on the 24/7 Engineer-on-Call rotating schedule.
- Responds to and provides technical assistance regarding engineering related incidents on the PA Turnpike.
- Uses situational awareness to anticipate and prevent accidents.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Twelve (12) years of engineering experience in a transportation environment, a bachelor’s degree with major course work in engineering or other related discipline, AND possession of a Professional Engineer (PE) license issued by the Pennsylvania State Registration Board for Professional Engineers.
- Four (4) of the years of experience must be in a supervisory capacity.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license. Must obtain and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license within six (6) months of employment.
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making and Independent Judgement
- Communication Proficiency
- Quality Control
- Project Management
- Developing Others
- Delegation Skills
- Technical Capacity
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Position demands include frequent speaking, writing and reading reports. Position requires frequent work at a computer utilizing business programs and PTC specific operating systems. Position may require frequent travel and/or fieldwork with exposure to roadway traffic. Occasionally works outside of normal business hours for work assignments and projects.
- Office environment with low levels of noise, adequate lighting and comfortable temperature. Field environment may include exposure to adverse and undesirable conditions. Physical environment is generally safe, but safety equipment or precautions must be followed in field conditions.
The selected candidate will be offered an exceptional benefits package which includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, along with a benefit plan for retirement. In addition, leave programs, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, and alternative work schedules are available to employees.
The information provided in this job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by the incumbent(s) within this job. It is not designed to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and working conditions required of the employee(s) assigned to this job. Management has the discretion to add or modify duties of the job and to designate other functions as essential at any time.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Human Resources Department by calling 717-831-7378.