Middletown, King of Prussia, New Stanton | PA
Position Title | Environmental Engineering Manager
Job Posting Info | Interested candidates must apply to the Environmental Engineering Manager posting by visiting careers.paturnpike.com by March 1, 2023.
- Position Number: 80000594
- Union: Non-Union
- FLSA Status: Salaried Exempt
- Department: Engineering
- Salary Grade: E-19
- Salary Range: $110,968.00 – $166,462.40
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Building Location*: Central Office Building, Eastern Regional Office, Western Regional Office
- Building Street: 700 S. Eisenhower Boulevard, Flinthill Road, North Center Avenue
- Building City: Middletown, King of Prussia, New Stanton
- Building State: Pennsylvania (US-PA)
- Building Zip Code: 17057, 19406, 15672
- Work Schedule: Flexible Work Options
* This position may report to one of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission’s offices: Central Office (Middletown), Eastern Regional Office (King of Prussia) or Western Regional Office (New Stanton).
The Commission values its team members and understands the importance of work/life balance to the health, well-being and productivity of its team. Therefore, this position may be eligible for Flexible Work Options* such as:
- Hybrid Work – combination of remote and in-person reporting
- Alternate Work Schedule – flexibility to adjust work schedule length to complete work week in fewer days
*Some options may require completion of probationary period. The Commission requires all employees to establish PA residency within 6 months of hire and to maintain PA residency, regardless of Flexible Work Options.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission, opened on October 1, 1940, is known as “America’s First Superhighway”! Our mission is to operate a safe, reliable, customer-valued toll road system that supports national mobility and commerce. The PTC operates a 552-mile system used by 192 million vehicles a year. Together, we are building the highway of the future.
Job Purpose and Summary
This position is responsible for the oversight of the Environmental Engineering unit of the Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission (PTC). Work is performed with a high degree of discretion and considerable independence. Work is reviewed by a professional superior at a high-level to determine the attainment of program goals and overall job performance. Supervision is exercised over internal and external staff.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities
- Directs, plans, and organizes operations and staff functions including supervision of internal and external staff, performance management, delegation of work assignments and review of work product.
- Directs the administration of environmental activities throughout the project lifecycle.
- Directs the development of plans, specifications, and the scope of work as it relates to environmental areas.
- Ensures proper coordination and communication with other units/departments throughout the project.
- Determines work to be performed by consultants and participates in the consultant selection process.
- Reviews and approves consultant invoices for open-end environmental contracts.
- Directs, develops, and implements environmental strategies, programs, and processes that promote and ensure sustainable development and compliance with environmental regulations.
- Directs the analysis, review, and/or preparation of environmental investigations and assessments of air quality, traffic noise, wildlife habitat, threatened/endangered species, wetlands, agricultural lands, historic and archeological resources, land use changes, socioeconomic, and other environmental factors.
- Ensures detailed records of environmental inspections, investigations, and assessments are maintained.
- Directs the development and review of environmental reports, documents, and recommendations prepared by internal/external staff for PTC executives and other appropriate regulatory authorities.
- Coordinates the circulation of required documents with PennDOT, the Federal Highway Administration, and other transportation agencies.
- Develops, implements, and monitors the unit’s budget.
- Maintains professional liaison with internal staff, consultants, environmental regulatory agencies, public officials, and other related agencies/officials regarding environmental compliance.
- Conducts and represents the PTC in designated presentations, committees, planning groups, meetings, trainings, and seminars.
- Directs and coordinates the permit application procedures for all engineering design projects.
- Provides professional guidance, direction, and consultation to resolve unique and/or complex project and/or program issues.
- Uses situational awareness to anticipate and prevent accidents.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Sixteen (16) years of environmental science or environmental engineering experience. Equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be accepted.
- Four (4) of the years of experience must be in a supervisory capacity.
- Possession of a valid Professional Engineer (PE) license issued by the Pennsylvania State Registration Board for Professional Engineers can be used as an equivalent for up to four (4) years of the experience.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license. Must obtain and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license within six (6) months of employment.
- Bachelor’s degree with major course work in environmental science, engineering, or other related discipline.
- Customer Service
- Problem Solving/Analysis
- Decision Making and Independent Judgment
- Communication Proficiency
- Quality Control
- Project Management
- Developing Others
- Delegation Skills
- Technical Capacity
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Position demands include frequent speaking, writing, and reading reports. Position requires frequent work at a computer utilizing business programs and PTC specific operating systems. Position requires frequent travel and/or fieldwork with exposure to roadway traffic. Occasionally works outside of normal business hours for assigned work assignments.Office environment with low levels of noise, adequate lighting, and comfortable temperature. Field environment may include exposure to moderately adverse and undesirable conditions. Physical environment is generally safe, but safety equipment or precautions must be followed in field conditions.
The selected candidate will be offered an exceptional benefits package which includes comprehensive medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, along with a benefit plan for retirement. In addition, leave programs, tuition reimbursement, employee assistance program, and alternative work schedules are available to employees.
The Pennsylvania Turnpike Commission is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact the Human Resources Department by calling 717-831-7378.
Online job posting | https://careers.paturnpike.com/job-invite/3214/